Tuesday 17 February 2015

HEALTHY CHOCOLATE OATS


So you may be thinking boring old chocolate oats, as a blog post - is she for real? But these aren't just any plain old chocolate oats, these are healthy superfood chocolate oats (said in a sexy Marks and Spencer ad kind of way), packed with energy inducing ingredients and yummy warming goodness.

While it didn't take me long to come up with a title, it's actually taken me a lot longer to come up with a recipe that I'm happy with. I've often found chocolate oats made with cacao to be too bitter and not sweet enough for my liking -  but then again I have a VERY sweet tooth.

I'm now trying to satisfy this sweet tooth in a way that doesn't compromise on healthy. I did this here by adding a date to the mix and a tsp of coconut sugar. Previously it would have been dairy free choc chips and large helpings of agave all the way, so this is a big improvement!

My other healthier sources of sugar include fruit and maple syrup, honey is also an excellent healthier source of sweetness if your not a strict vegan like me.

Ingredients:

- 40g/1 cup gluten free porridge oats
- 200ml of plant based milk, I used almond
- Tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of pink salt
- Tbsp flaxseed
- Tbsp organic cacao powder
- Tbsp organic maca powder
- 1 chopped date
- 1/2- 1tsp coconut sugar
- Sprinkling of cacao nibs

Recipe:

1.) Weigh out 40g of oats or use 1 cup.
2.) Add this to a pan of plant based milk and warm for around 5mins along with the other ingredients in the order listed.
3.) Your oats should start to bubble after this time, that means they're ready to eat!
4.) Top with a scoop of nut butter and fruit of your choice.


My favourite toppings with chocolate oats are; peanut butter and banana or almond butter and berries. Here I went for a slightly tropical meets winter topping with banana, coconut chips, almond butter and frozen blueberries, as it was an insanely cold, rainy, grey day outside but I wanted to feel sunny on the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment