Wednesday 16 October 2013

SKINCARE: BOOTS BOTANICS

With the air getting colder and my skin becoming increasingly dryer, I've been on the lookout for some natural, or as close to natural skincare products as I can get. Online is probably your best bet when trying to scour something truly pure and vegan, alas I was down to my last make-up wipe and needed a replacement quick so I headed down to my local Boots.

Doubtful I would find anything I was happy with on the high street I had a look anyway and was pleasantly surprised to see the Boots Botanics range has had a makeover and offering skincare that's between 80 and 100% organic.



The products were all great to use, I put them on before I went to bed last night. The initial application of the moisturiser made my skin feel slightly tightened but I awoke to find my skin soft and clear this morning. I believe they must have changed the formula, that or the organic one is the only one that agrees with my skin, as I tried the normal botanics moisturiser last year and broke out in a nasty rash! 

The cleanser removed my makeup really well, quickly and easily - which is exactly what I was looking for, being a self confessed lazy makeup wipe abuser. I'm glad I made the change to cleanser as my current brand of make up wipes were actually beginning to sting my eyes. I won't name names but they're a VERY well known brand that claims to be natural (in a round about way) with 'no chemicals, no alcohol, perfume or colour', so I was surprised to find the ingredients listed as Methyparaban and Propylparaben, you can read more about these controversial ingredients here

As I was weighing up which products to get in the store (I frequently spend hours in stores doing this!) I googled Boots products and their statement to someone who enquired was:

"Thanks for your enquiry regarding our Botanics range.

I am pleased to confirm that all of this range will be suitable for vegetarians, as it does not contain any animal ingredients.

None of the Boots branded products are tested on animals."


Which led me to believe they were ok for vegans too, however I did notice when I got home that the Botanics day moisturiser does contain beeswax which is considered by some to not be a vegan ingredient. Being a transitioning vegetarian, I am still on the fence about this one, I definately don't eat honey anymore as I'm aware of the damage this causes to the bees (read: here) however the beeswax extraction seems like a non-harmful process. While it is still an animal by-product, the bees don't need the wax and the collection of it doesn't harm them in the process (that I'm aware of). Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am still forming opinions about this...

What natural skincare products do you use?




7 comments:

  1. thanks for the info :) keep seing their botanics brand and I"m never sure if I should try it out or not

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner is vegetarian and wanted a stick deodorant that worked. The boots botanical men's stick deodorant is not tested on animals and suitable for vegetarians (according to Boots website). He has been using this item for the past week. He has a manual job and wanted a deodorant that kept him fresh and smelling good. This item has been ideal for the job. It's effective for at least 24hrs, he has sensitive skin and has had no problems with this product, also it does not leave any nasty residue on his clothing. All in all I would recommend this item and have recently stocked up as there is an offer on 3 for the price of 2! comments by Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia, glad you found the botanics deodorant worked for your partner. I know it's tricky to find the right one. I also recommend Pitrock, a natural crystal deodorant and Bionsen which is aluminium free, both of these can be found in Boots stores.

      Delete
  3. Hello my friend! I would like to tell you that this write-up is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I recently came to know about www.avanaaustralia.com.au/, their Natural Skincare are very effective.
    Natural Skincare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Was looking for a vegan brand that wouldn't break the bank & readily available too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The site is really beneficial for everyone to know about this topic. I think if you read blog than you will get some more information from blog. This is really useful blog.กําจัดขนถาวร

    ReplyDelete