Thursday 24 October 2013

FAUX FIX: DESIGNER PICKS


When I tell some people that I'm a vegan I think they are a bit taken aback, as though it's not a normal thing to be. So I want to show the world that us vegans are 'normal' too and can enjoy everything that meat eaters do! In fact I'm more convinced than ever that the vegan diet should be what's considered normal, having recently watched the documentary Forks over Knives, which examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.

While my ideals of what's ethical may have changed, my love for fashion has always remained, I've just made a few adjustments to my wardrobe (as well as my diet) along the way (see post). I've been interested in fashion since my early childhood, I would spend hours playing with my fashion wheel game (we didn't have iPads back then) and even went on to pursue my dream of becoming a fashion designer at College and University. 

Most of the time designers like to use real leather, fur and silk, after all that's where your money is going (or so they would like you to believe) so when you pay a designer price tag you would expect it to be the 'real' deal. Therefore it's often harder to pick out higher end items that are vegan friendly. Stella McCartney is probably the most well known for being an ethical designer, as a lifelong vegetarian her collections contain no leather or fur. However some garments are made from silk and wool so not all items are vegan, but for vegan shoes and bags Stella McCartney would be my first designer of choice - if only I could afford it! 

I've taken the liberty of painstakingly (yeah right) searching through Net-A-Porter to find the most on trend (vegan) designer picks of the moment. It's just annoying that there's no 'one' designer company that does all vegan items with a sustainable ethos to match. At the minute the best we can do is pick and choose our peices but hopefully with more people buying these items and shunning the skins we are persuading them to make more and forgo the unnecessary cruelty...

The pic above is what I like to call the 'tough yet cuddly' look, that you could wear during the day, to work or even dress up in the evening with a different top and some heels. You can also get the Falabella bag in a fold up version that works as a clutch too, so that would be a worthy investment if ever I saw one ;). Personally I'd would wear all of these items together as I love the contrasting prints and textures of the faux fur and the shiny vinyl. The sweater over a pencil skirt look was seen at Jonathan Saunders and seems so perfect this winter. On colder days I'd wear the shirt underneath the jumper so the crisp white collar is poking out (my favourite look at the minute). Overall a versatile and layered Winter look that's cruelty free! Now who wants to sponsor me to wear it?... anyone??

Can you recommend any other ethical/vegan designers?

No comments:

Post a Comment