Saturday 16 May 2015

RAW STRAWBERRY JAM


This is one of those recipes that is an absolute gem of a find and sure to become a long-term favourite of mine, it's so incredibly easy to make with only 3 ingredients needed and such a genius idea to use chia seeds as a thickener. I came across this concept as I needed to create a healthy jelly to add to my ice cream (recipe coming soon) and so I googled raw jam to see if it came up, it was actually a 'thing' already! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this recipe to use as my base, which I then simplified even further.

The beauty of raw chia jam is that it's super duper healthy, there's no preservatives/flavourings/additives or refined sugar added in aand you get the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself.

Chia seeds really do pack a nutritional punch, some of their many benefits include:

- Low in calories
- Rich in Omega-3 and fatty acids
- Loaded with antioxidents
- Packed full of fibre
- High in protein
- Excellent source of calcium


Ingredients:

- 8 strawberries
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds

Method:

Pop everything into a blender at once and blend to achieve the consistency you require. Blend on low for a short amount of time if you'd like a chunky strawberry jam or blend on high for a longer amount to achieve a smooth consistency - this works well as a drizzling sauce for ice cream. Leave to set, forming a thick gel-like consistency for 10 mins before serving.

No blender method:

Mash up the strawberries with the back of a fork then add the chia seeds and agave. Again leave to set for 10 mins before serving.

The great thing about this recipe is you can substitute strawberries for any other kind of fruit you like, I can't wait to start experimenting with different flavours especially now lot's of different fruits will be coming into season. I think from now on I'll be called the crazy jam lady and that's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment