Sunday 31 May 2015

JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES



I love trying out new healthy cookie recipes, especially when they comprise of a few simple ingredients that I have lying around and know I can whip them up in under 30mins just in time for tea. Well this recipe fits that bill to a tee or should I say tea? - Yes it's true I'm British and I love tea, the stereotype is true.

By the way did you notice my cute little Moomin cup? I'm obsessed with all things Scandinavian and especially love Moomin memorabilia. This  mug came all the way from my trip to Sweden, so far I've collected 4 mugs, a spoon, a teddy and a pyjama set!



With this recipe I found another use for my beloved raw strawberry chia seed jam. You could also try using other flavours or any kind of 'sauce' you like. I also learnt about oat flour making this recipe, how amazing is it that you can just whizz up oats in a blender and they turn to flour! I'm planning on making some pancakes with it next.

Ingredients: 

- 2 cups oats (gluten free)
- 3 large bananas
- 3 tbsp flaxseed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp water (if needed for mixing)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A few grinds of pink Himalayan salt

- Raw strawberry jam



Method:

1.) Preheat fan assisted oven to 180c and line a large tray with baking paper.

2.) Place oats in a food processor and blend until they become oat flour.

3.) Mash the bananas in a large bowl then mix in all the other ingredients. 

4.) Round dough into cookie shapes (they don't have to be perfect) and press thumb into the middle. Make sure they're not too thick as the middle won't cook very well.

5.) Fill the thumbprint with raw jam.

6.) Bake for 22-25 mins, until slightly golden and the middle is cooked through.

I find these cookies are best served warm, straight out of the oven. You can of course leave them to cool and store them in the fridge/freezer for a later date. Due to the fresh banana and jam they will only keep for a few days in the fridge but not to worry I'm sure they'll be gone by then anyway!




Let me know in the comments below if you try out a different filling in these cookies as I'd love to know how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment