Monday 16 December 2013

EASY PEASY MAC AND CHEESEY!


With the likes of pizza and mac and cheese being my all time favourite indulgence meals, the one thing I sometimes miss as a vegan is cheese. Sure there's Cheezly, Sheese and No Muh (No Muh has to be the best I've tried so far) but nothing has quite hit the spot in terms of substitutions. The time came to take matters into my own hands and see if I could come up with something that would satisfy my needy cheesy tastebuds. 

This isn't technically a recipe, you just throw the ingredients together in a pan until it tastes good! First of all you need to cook the pasta shells (or macaroni if you prefer), I won't baby you by telling you how to do this...

While the pasta is cooking, pour some unsweetened almond milk in a pan on a medium heat, I would say allow 1 cup for each person. Add lot's of nutritional yeast (this gives it that cheesy taste) then a half teaspoon of: nutmeg, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. Squirt in a teaspoon of mustard and a sprinkle of turmeric to give the sauce a golden colour.  Add a corn starch/thickening mixture, following the instructions on the packet. Then season with salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce to taste (optional). 

A quick and easy meal using cheap pantry ingredients. You can also add extra ingredients to the mac and cheese to make it more interesting and substantial such as; tofu dogs, soy protein and broccoli or peas. 

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog! I can't wait to read some more of your posts.

    xx

    Jane
    www.poptartsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete