Sunday 7 December 2014

VEGAN FRENCH TOAST


For some silly reason I've never really given much thought to french toast, it's always pancakes this and waffles that, I feel like french toast is the under-sung hero of breakfast tables everywhere (well my breakfast table anyway).

I guess it's because I've always associated French toast with egg but not anymore! Of course vegans being the clever bunch that we are (way to toot my own horn), have come up with a healthier banana based alternative.

If your a fan of quick and easy recipes like me - especially at silly o'clock in the morning, this one is definitely for you. After whizzing it all up in the blender your ready to dip in your bread, fry it up and go.

Oh yeah, soak in that butter baby! Don't be shy it's dairy-free. 

Ingredients:
-  Bread of your choice
-  3 ripe bananas
-  4 cups unsweetened almond milk
-  1.5tsp cinnamon
-  1tsp organic vanilla extract 
-  Vegan margarine to fry (I used Biona organic sunflower spread) 
-  Maple syrup, icing sugar and fruit to serve

Instructions:
1. Blend the bananas, milk, cinnamon and vanilla together in a blender or food processor.
2. Pour the mixture into a deep dish. 
3. Heat up a frying pan and grease it with the vegan margarine.
4. Take a slice of bread and dip it into the mixture, coating both sides, before placing in the pan to fry. Turn over once brown on the under side. I fried two slices of bread at a time and added approx a tsp of butter before cooking the next pair.
Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or agave if desired and garnish with some fruit of your choice (I recommend strawberries and blueberries or even more bananas). You could also add a handful of nuts and a sprinkling of icing sugar to your stack, which I feel makes it look more fancy and quite festive, ideal for Christmas day brunch.  

 Those layers though...

It snowed on my plate!

Let me know if you've made vegan french toast before or give this recipe a try and tag me on instagram @theveganvirgo or twitter @veganvirgoblog - look forward to seeing your creations!


No comments:

Post a Comment